Special Grant Program for International Students (October 2021)2021-06-04
Special Grant Program for International Students / Research Assistant Program of Graduate School of Environmental Science (October 2021)
This program will select students, who can likely contribute internationally in their research field, from those students applying to doctoral courses of Graduate School of Environmental Science.
It is very meaningful to participate in research as a Research Assistant (RA) for the development of your research ability. Each Research Assistant must serve to achieve the objective of a research subject directed by a faculty member of the Graduate School of Environmental Science. The research subjects are listed below.
Maximum 3 years since the first year although the achievement of the objective must be evaluated each year by the committee of the faculty.
Qualifications of application (Eligibility):
Students (mainly from developing countries) who are going to seek admission to the doctor courses of Graduate School of Environmental Science.
Payment Exemption / RA Allowance:
Payment Exemption: Total amount of school fees are entirely covered by Hokkaido University (i.e., entrance exam fee of 30,000 yen, admission fee of 282,000 yen, and annual tuition fee of 535,800 yen for each of three years). RA Allowance (depending on the actual working time): Total: 3 million yen (1 million yen for each of three years)
Travel expenses of entrance exam should be paid by applicant.
Until June 21 Monday, 2021
Application for the program:
Applicants are required to submit the documents listed below. The documents should not be written in a language other than English.
- Curriculum vitae with the applicant's photograph
- Academic transcript
- Graduation certificate
- List of publications and presentations in scientific meetings
- Research proposal
- Direction and comments of potential supervisor and at least one co-supervisor, including proofs of communication between you and the potential supervisors
- Master's thesis or other documents in proof of your research ability
Reference and address to apply
Graduate School of Environmental Science
Kita 10, Nishi 5, Kita-ku, Sapporo, 060-0810 Japan
E-mail: kyomu (at) ees.hokudai.ac.jp
List of possible research subjects (2021)
- Title: Monitoring forest cover change due to typhoon/landslides using Geospatial data
- Assistant Professor: Ram Avtar
- Globally, the number of disasters are increasing dramatically. The main cause of this increase is the high frequency of extreme weather events. Typhoon and landslides are one of the catastrophic hazards affecting forest ecosystem. The impact of these hazards can be minimized using various management approaches. Geospatial data have a potential to monitor and assess forest damage and recovery after these hazards. The aim of this study is to apply geospatial and ground-based information to monitor forest cover changes. Successful candidate is required to have knowledge of geospatial data and tools to engage in relevant research.